The Melco D100 is a high quality CD drive that can plug into the USB socket on any of the Melco music servers allowing the highest quality bit perfect CD ‘ripping’. You can even play CDs ‘live’ on it. Now that’s novel!
It’s plainly a very high quality device. Nicely weighty, quiet and infinitely nicer to use than a small light plastic drive.
D100 embeds the most recent generation of Japanese optical drive which reads CD and Optical Discs with great precision.
So far, so ‘premium’. It would be easy to dismiss this as simply a’posh’ drive. The inconvenient reality is that it’s very, very good too. We’ve spent a little time comparing rips of the same CD via different means using our existing HQ Wav rips as reference point. We used a low cost USB drive straight into the Melco and ripping into DB power amp on the Mac.
The rips done directly into the Melco via the D100 drive have a quality about them that sets them apart.
Rhythmically and tonally they seemed simply more natural and there is a sense of stillness that seems to come with a reduction in a very small amount of background ‘hash’. We found ourselves considering at our 2000+ CD rip collection with a little bit of despair!
- MELCO branded circuit board is optimised from audiophile point of view to promise the highest quality transport and ripping of CD into N1.
- It can be turned off with the dedicated power switch.
- The case is designed the same concept as most recent MELCO music library products.
- 2 mm thick under chassis supports the whole case with great rigidity.
- Beautifully designed thick aluminum case is half size of N1A and fits most of desktop USB-DACs.
- Weight is 3.5kg (almost 3x that of similar IT drives)
MELCO Highly Stable Storage System holds whole drive mechanism with Melco’s dedicated technology.
Dedicated PCB holds capacitors for power supply and quality clock generator for better signal transmission.
TO HOST USB type B port is for N1 or PC to read the disc data.
TO DEVICE USB type A port is for USB-DAC playback with N1 USB Local playback function.
|Weight||3.5 kg (7.7 lb)|
|Size ( Wide, Height , Long )||215 x 61 x 269 mm( 8.46 x 2.40 x 10.59 in )|
|Support Optical Disc||CD ( CD-DA disc read only )DVD / BD ( DVD / BD data disc read only )|
|USB ports||USB 3.0 Type A x 1 “TO DEVICE”, USB 3.0 Type B x 1 “TO HOST”|
|Power supply||DV 12 v (48W AC adapter)|
|Compatible Equipment||DELA N1 series、Windows 10 (tested with x86 base、Fall Creaters Update model）Mac OS (tested with High Seria)※1|
- Fidata HFAS1-XS20 *Confirmed CD ripping via HFAS1-XS20`s control. And also confirmed music file playback and CD playback by connecting D100 USB DEVICE port to a USB DAC.
Available in silver (black will come soon).